Current Corporate Seminar
Getting It Write: Writing Professional Emails in Global English (Created by Dr. Swann)
The perils of poor writing include wasted time, lost revenue, diminished productivity, and a decline of professionalism. Our seminar Getting It Write: Writing Professional Emails in Global English can provide the latest and best tools to significantly improve email communication in your corporation.
Armed with a set of best practices, tools, and techniques, talented, well-qualified employees can further improve your corporate reputation and brand with quality email-writing skills.
Contrary to public belief that “hard skills” keep corporations in business today, it is excellent communication and other such “soft skills” that prove more critical, according to Google’s Project Oxygen (2019). David Grossman’s U.S. survey of 400 companies, each with 100,000 employees, discovered that poor communication resulted in an average annual loss of U.S. $62.4 million. The losses of smaller companies were also high (David Grossman, "The Cost of Poor Communication", (2018).
Billions of business emails circle the globe each day. Unfortunately many emails are poorly written and lead to descreased productivity. Simply put, bad emails impact negatively on corporation image and branding aspirations.
According to best-selling author Josh Bernoff, U.S. corporations spend billions of dollars on improving the writing skills of their employees. "The High Cost of Poor Writing" (2019).
This marks a significant change in corporate reaction to the new technological realities driving the economy. In the past, corporations would pour vast amounts of money into advertising campaigns to secure a positive brand. Yet, mere pennies were being spent on the ordinary email. With the increasing importance of emails as brand building tools, firms are now heavily investing in this once forgotten aspect of business.
No matter how excellent employees' skills are, we’ve learned that there’s always room for improvement. Dr. Swann has studied almost everything written about the subject of good business writing, and specifically the literature on writing professional emails. She has 20 years of experience in academics and business, which includes teaching English, Communications, and International Relations at the university level. Dr. Swann's Ph.D. thesis is on corporate branding processes in elite companies. Michelle's background makes her an ideal choice to help raise the writing standards of corporate emails.
With a brief prior consult, we can tailor our knowledge to suit your organizational needs and make sure we comply with your corporate standards, branding goals, and legal requirements.
Why not strive for excellence in this essential skill? Let’s raise the bar!
• The significance and importance of email in today's rapidly changing global economy
• Communication theory: the unique characteristics of email as a communication medium
• Cultural IQ, cross-cultural knowledge and Global English
• 34 areas of email which need improvement
• Fundamentals of email writing
• The importance of knowing your audience
• How to develop clear aims in professional email writing
• Effective best-practices for achieving more effective and less time-consuming emails
• Tips for achieving positive outcomes
• The differences between formal and informal emails
• How to find the right tone in email writing
• Proof-reading and editing techniques
• Writing emotionally intelligent emails
• Common misused words
• English Grammar - the basics
• English Punctuatiuon- the basics
• How to best handle incoming emails
• How to maintain control over your inbox